History of Sanborn, New York

Originally Sanborn was called South Pekin, owing to its location near another village, Pekin, north of the present site of Sanborn.

In 1846 the Reverend E. C. Sanborn came to the area. The village was named "Sanborn" when his son, Lee Sanborn, was made the Postmaster.

Early Sanborn had a sawmill, a gristmill and a cheese factory among other businesses as indicated in this 1876 print.

1809 Samuel Carney, first settler in Pekin purchased 500 acres on east side and Reynolds on the west side.
1811 Jairus Rose settled where Niagara County Community College is today. He was the first settler in what is now Sanborn.
1815 Dr. Myron Orton came to Pekin. One of the founders of the Niagara County Medical Society.
1826 Seth Lyon settled in the area (in the first house south of the RR tracks on Hoover Road.)
1833 Daniel Treichler and family moved from York Co, PA to 1/2 mile south of Lockport Rd. on Ward Rd.
1836-1851 The first railroad known as the Strap RR ran through Pekin, connecting Lockport and Niagara Falls.
1846 Rev. E.C. Sanborn, a Methodist minister, moved to the area
1852 Railroad came to South Pekin, via the Rochester, Lockport and Niagara Falls Companies
1854 Lee R. Sanborn built a sawmill in area on south side of Saunders Settlement Rd. near Townline Rd.
1863 Post Office established in South Pekin at railroad station. John Starr named postmaster.
1864 Rev. Griffin Smith and Lee R. Sanborn purchased 90 acres of land where Sanborn is today. Smith fences his land for farming.
Sanborn divided his land into village lots for sale. Mr. Gutton was the first purchaser.
1866 Name of South Pekin changed to Sanborn while Lee R. Sanborn was postmaster.
1867 Methodist Church from Pekin, built in 1826, moved to Pearl Street for use as a Union Hall. Today it is the Sanborn American Legion Post 969.
1868 Sanborn established first grist mill.
1870 Dr. William Huggins, first doctor located in town. Construction began on Methodist Episcopal Church, corner of Buffalo and Tallman Streets.
1874 Rev. William Scism, a retired Methodist minister from Pekin operated store on west side of Buffalo St., north of railroad tracks.
1876 Map made of Sanborn businesses
1879 Baptist Church built on Buffalo Street
1882 Two story schoolhouse built on West Street
1883 L.B. Pike opened a general and drug store at Griffin & Niagara Streets
1885 First Fire Protection Company established, using buckets & hoses
1895 Frank R. Stover operated lumber & hardware business. In 1928 becomes D.F. Calkins Lumber Co.
1906 William J. Pike & Duncan opened a funeral parlor, later Pike & Jones. Now Rhoney Funeral Home.
1908 The first hotel built south of railroad tracks. It burned and was rebuilt in 1909 by A.F. Wendt as the Exchange Hotel. Later called the Marlboro Inn.
1908 Dr. Peart moved here. Lived and practiced across from the lumber company on Niagara Street.
1910 R.T. LeVan & Sons built a grocery store at Maple & Buffalo Streets.
1912 In 1912, eight passenger trains passed through Sanborn daily!
 
 


 
 

© Sanborn Area Historical Society